Primate: The Most Revd. Bernard Ntahoturi
Provincial Secretary: The Revd. Pedaculi Birakengana
Provincial Treasurer: Mrs. Christine Niyonkuru
There are at least one million Anglicans in Burundi out of an estimated population of 9 million. An Anglican presence was established through the work of the CMS in the 1930s and grew rapidly as a result of the East African Revival. The former Ruanda Mission (now CMS) set up its first mission stations at Buhiga and Matana in 1935, and Buye in 1936. Activities were mainly focused on evangelism, education and medical work. The first national bishop was consecrated in 1965 and Buye diocese was created, covering the whole country.
The Anglican Province of Burundi now consists of six dioceses and has been an independent Province since 1992. Among the Church’s main concerns are peace and reconciliation, advocacy and empowerment, community development, health, literacy and financial education, theological training and education. It is committed to mission and evangelism with faith in the risen Christ as Lord and Saviour central to its ministry.
The Provincial Office
ANGLICAN CHURCH OF BURUNDI