Primate: The Most Revd. Henry Kahwa Isingoma
Provincial Secretary: The Rt. Revd. Molanga Botola Jean
Provincial Treasurer: The Ven. Muhindo Ise-Somo
Ugandan evangelist Apolo Kivebulaya established the Anglican presence in Zaire in 1896. The Church reached the Shaba region in 1955, but evangelization did not progress on a large scale until the 1970s. Following independence, the Church expanded and formed dioceses as part of the Province of Uganda, Burundi, Rwanda, and Boa-Zaire. The new Province was inaugurated in 1992 and changed its name in 1997.
The first diocese was created in 1972, as part of the Province of Uganda, Rwanda and Boga-Zaïre. The new province was inaugurated in 1992 with the name: Province of the Anglican Church of Congo. It now has seven dioceses. As a member of the Church of Christ in Congo it is known as the Anglican Community. The provincial synod held in 2003 in Bukavu decided the transfer of the headquarters of the province from Bunia to Kinshasa. The new diocese of Kinshasa was inaugurated on 20 December 2003.
The first priority of the church is evangelization, especially in the western part of the country, e.g. Kinshasa, Lower Congo, Bandundu and also in neighboring Congo Brazzaville. Other activities are the training of managerial staff and lay people through seminars, Bible schools, etc. Development, health care, and the promotion of peace and reconciliation are among the priorities of the church.
The province of the Anglican Church of Congo is facing many difficulties. Concentrated in the eastern part of the country, it has suffered particularly from the war situation in the Great Lakes region. The many years of violence and mismanagement of the political leaders have impoverished its members.
The Provincial office,
Church of the Province of the Congo,
EAC-KINSHASA BP 16482
D R CONGO