Primate: The Most Revd. Dr. Eliud Wabukala
Provincial Secretary: The Revd. Canon Rosemary Mbogo
Provincial Treasurer: Dr. William Ogara
The church was founded originally as the diocese of Eastern Equatorial Africa (Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania) in 1884, with James Hannington as the first bishop; however, Anglican missionary activity had been present in the area since 1844, when Dr. Johann Ludwig Krapf landed in Mombasa. The first Africans were ordained to the priesthood in 1885. In 1898, the diocese was split into two, with the new diocese of Mombasa governing Kenya and northern Tanzania (the other diocese later became the Church of Uganda); northern Tanzania was separated from the diocese in 1927. Mass conversions of Africans began as early as 1910. In 1955, the diocese’s first African bishops, Festo Olang’ and Obadiah Kariuki, were consecrated by the Archbishop of Canterbury in Uganda (Olang’ would be elected the first African archbishop in 1970); in 1960, the province of East Africa, comprising Kenya and Tanzania, was formed with L.J. Beecher as archbishop. Tanzania seceded from the province in 1970 and was created as its own province. Manasses Kuria was the Archbishop of Kenya from 1980 to 1994.
In 1975 creation of the Dioceses of Mt. Kenya East and South from the Diocese of Mt. Kenya took place. The martyrdom of the Archbishop of Uganda, Rwanda, Burundi and Boga-Zaire, the most Rev. Janan Luwum occurred in 1977. In the same year, the Church of the Province of Kenya (CPK) took the lead in soliciting for international aid for refugees.
The conference of the Archbishops of Anglican Provinces in Africa was held in Nairobi. The Council of Anglican Provinces in Africa (CAPA) was inaugurated in July the same year. The Most Rev. Dr. Manasses Kuria was elected the second Archbishop of the church, to succeed the Most Rev. Festo Olang’ in 1980. A year later, the 2nd partners in mission consultation of the CPK was held in Mombasa while the 3rd was held in Kabare in 1988.
In 1996, the Most Rev. Dr. Manasses Kuria retired. In 1998 The Most Rev. Dr. David Gitari was elected the third Archbishop to take his place. In the year 2003, the Most Rev. Benjamin Nzimbi was elected as fourth Archbishop replacing the Most Rev. Dr. Gitari.
The Rt. Rev. Dr. Eliud W. Wabukala was elected the 5th Primate and Archbishop of Kenya on 24th April, 2009. succeeded the Most Rev. Dr. Benjamin Nzimbi who retired on 30th June, 2009.
In 1998, the name of the church was changed from the Church of the Province of Kenya (CPK) to the Anglican Church of Kenya (ACK). Today the church has grown tremendously. In a period spanning 158 years, the church has established 29 dioceses, several institutions and theological colleges which are all interlinked through a computer network founded by Trinity Church, Wall Street, New York. The Anglican Church is a member of the 70 million strong Anglican Communion.
Today, there are at least 1,500,000 Anglicans out of an estimated population of 30,700,000.
Anglican Church of Kenya,
P.O Box 40502-00100
Tel: +254 20 2714755
Fax: +254 20 2718442